You can't beat a peanut butter cookie and these salted chocolate ones tick all the boxes. These won't last long out of the oven...
Recipe credit: Caravan Restaurants (from their 'Dining all Day' cookbook)
Photo credit: Clerkenwell Boy
INGREDIENTS (Makes 12)
- 200g unsalted butter
- 200g Peanut Butter (original recipe uses Almond Butter)
- 100g muscovado sugar
- 50g caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp flaked sea salt, plus extra to finish
- 300g plain flour
- 30g good-quality cocoa powder
- 200g dark chocolate buttons
- Preheat the oven to 170°C and line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- In a stand mixer, combine the butter, (peanut butter or) almond butter and muscovado and caster sugar. Whisk on a high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition.
- Turn off the mixer and remove the bowl from the stand. Add the baking powder, sea salt, flour and cocoa powder and mix together gently with a wooden spoon. Finally fold through the chocolate buttons.
- Divide the mixture into 12 equal parts and roll each part into a ball (If you want to you can add an extra dollop of peanut butter inside the centre of each ball for an extra squidgy middle)
- Place on the lined baking tray, spaced out as they will spread as they cook.
- Flatten each ball lightly with the palm of your hand so it is about 2cm high. Bake the cookies for 12-14 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle over a little extra sea salt.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly.
Best eaten while warm!
These will keep for up to 1 week in an airtight container.
You can also freeze the cookie dough into balls and bake whenever you need an emergency cookie 😉