Forget the watery stuff you get in the supermarket, homemade coleslaw is way more fresh, crunchy and flavoursome. This salad makes a perfect companion for a burger or quiche.
• 3 Tbsp almonds
• 2 carrots
• 1 fennel bulb
• 400g mixture of red and white cabbage
• 1⁄2 red onion, thinly sliced into rings
• 1 handful each of coriander (cilantro) and mint, finely chopped
• 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 250ml natural yoghurt
• 4 heaped Tbsp almond butter
• Juice of 1 lemon
• Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Toast the almonds in a dry frying pan for a few minutes, then roughly chop.
Use a food processor to grate the carrots. Next, finely shred the fennel and cabbage and mix with the grated carrots in a large bowl. Add the onion and herbs.
In a separate bowl, mix together the olive oil, yoghurt, almond butter, and some salt and pepper. Add the lemon juice and mix.
Pour the yoghurt dressing over the slaw mix, add the chopped almonds, reserving a few to sprinkle over the top, and mix.