Who doesn't love a cinnamon bun? This recipe is given a nutty twist with the addition of our Almond Butter.
Makes 12 buns.
Prep time: 30 mins. Cooking and proving time: 2 hours.
For the dough
- 500g flour
- 65g caster sugar
- 1tsp salt
- 100g butter, cold, cubed
- 7g sachet dried yeast
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 150ml milk
For the filling
- 50g melted butter
- 50g Smooth Almond Butter
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 100g demerera sugar
- 1 egg, beaten (for eggwash)
- 100g cream cheese
- 25g icing sugar
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Place the flour, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl, then rub in the pieces of butter until the mix has the texture of breadcrumbs.
- Sprinkle in the yeast and pour in eggs and vanilla extract. Pour in the milk and mix well until you get a soft dough (you may need to add a little more milk).
- Knead by hand for about 15 mins until the dough is smooth, soft and springy. Tip into a lightly oiled bowl, cover with cling film, then leave to rise in a warm place for about 1 hr or until doubled in size.
- On a floured surface press the dough into a large rectangle, about 12 inches by 15 inches. When the dough is in the correct shape, slather it thickly with the melted butter, Almond Butter, and cinnamon, making sure to spread it nearly to the edges, sprinkle with the sugar, and press the sugar lightly in. Roll up along the long side, into a tight roll. Use a knife to cut the ends off neatly.
- The rolled dough should be roughly 15 inches long; roll or stretch the log if needed. Slice the log into 12 equal rolls. Transfer the dough to a lightly greased baking tray of approx. 20x30cm, spaced a little apart.
- Cover and let the rolls rise for 45 mins or until doubled in size. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees/ 160 fan.
- Brush with beaten egg, then place in the oven. Bake your buns for about 20 -30 mins or until browned and firm on the outside.
- Leave to cool and make the frosting by beating the cream cheese, sugar and lemon juice together. Drizzle/spread with cream cheese frosting and serve.
*This recipe was originally made with our Limited Edition Pumpkin Spice Almond Butter, which sadly is no longer around! We've switched to our Smooth Almond Butter here, but you could try it with another flavour blend if you have it.