We're proud to source the chocolate in our Nut Butter Cups from an exceptional chocolate supplier called Luker Chocolate. Our chocolate is single sourced from a region in Colombia called Necocli. Our dark chocolate is made from a particular cocoa bean called the Maranta and the milk chocolate is made from the Notra bean. These chocolates have been chosen for their rich flavours that complement the nut butter centres perfectly. Not only is our chocolate the best tasting, but Luker Chocolate also work directly with the farmers and the local community to invest in the infrastructure of the area, they run educational programmes for the farmers and use agroforestry to improve the biodiversity of the land. Here's a bit more about Luker Chocolate:
- A Unique Cacao Variety: The chocolate grown by Luker Chocolate is a special variety called Fino de Aroma, which is grown specifically for its delicious flavour. This type of cacao bean only makes up 8% of global cacao production.
- Research & Training: The company founded the Applied Agricultural & Research Training Centre in 1962 and since then has trained 700 farmers per year in agroforestry, allowing them to grow more sustainable and profitable crops.
- Environmental Commitment: Luker Chocolate are experts in water management, clean energy and sustainability - joining efforts in order to face the challenges of climate change.
- Reforestation: Luker Chocolate has planted over 2 million trees to combat deforestation from previous unsustainable farming practices in Colombia.
- Educating the Local Community: Luker Chocolate provide pedagogical counseling and learning materials to schools in the vicinity of their crops in order to improve gradeschool and highschool learning, and show the new generation to see the Colombian countryside as a place where dreams can come true, and where the future is within reach.
For more information about Luker Chocolate and all the good work they do, have a read here: http://thechocolatedream.com