We’re hiring a Technical Manager!
Built on the basis that health food should never be boring, Pip & Nut is a rapidly growing brand with big ambitions. After just 2 years we over 4000 stores under our tail – ranging from Selfridges to Sainsbury’s. In 2016 we grew by over 400% growth and looking to double the business in 2018. At the heart of our company is a belief that simple, natural foods can and should be delicious; that’s why our products contain nothing but nuts and a few other natural ingredients. We also believe that work should be fun and rewarding, and that a good team can achieve more than the sum of its parts. Our energetic team built a tonne of momentum – with fans ranging from international athletes to top celebrities and amazing partners like Nike. Now we’re on the hunt for a talented Technical Manager to join the scurry and be one of the formative members in our mission to become one of the nation’s favourite health food brands.
Reports to: Head of Food and Innovation
Responsible for: Finished goods, process and packaging
Who we’re looking for:
Skills are important but the most important thing for us is attitude: are you up for the challenge of building something from nothing? We want someone who’ll get stuck in to everything they do; you need to be technically savvy and have a real eye for detail in ensuring products meet quality standards. We want somebody who’s tenacious, highly energised, motivated and passionate about achieving levels of excellence somebody who’ll genuinely love their work and relish the challenge ahead of them.
This role is responsible for ensuring the quality, safety, legal, industry and internal standard compliance of all operations throughout the production of finished goods, from NPD through to packaging and the end product. This role also plays a key part in championing change and continuous improvement of the manufacturing process amongst all suppliers contributing to the production of finished goods. This role assists in identifying potential production risks on an ongoing basis and subsequently develops preventative measures and solutions which aim to continually enhance quality levels throughout the production process and the quality of end products themselves.
Role activities & responsibilities
• To be the technical lead for our raw material suppliers and 3 manufacturing sites to ensure all relevant technical standards for all suppliers are adopted, implemented and regularly reviewed / updated.
• Responsible for driving continuous improvements in quality along with the Operations manager to develop, revise and implement where necessary KPIs for each supplier involved with the production of all Pip & Nut’s finished products and packaging.
• To proactively build, manage and maintain the company’s product recall and product withdrawal policies and procedures. Ensure that such procedures are communicated to all relevant third parties and are tested at periodic times during each year
• Assisting with ensuring that all suppliers / manufacturers continue to be aware of, understand and comply with relevant quality, legal and safety standards
• To proactively work closely with all suppliers / manufacturers involved in the production of finished goods to identify any existing risks, and opportunities for improvement, throughout the manufacturing process – conducting ongoing supplier monitoring and reviews to achieve this
• Responsible for supporting unexpected changes within the supply chain e.g. factory relocations, crisis management
Finished product administration – Quality, safety & legality
• Create, deploy and manage Pip & Nut’s customer complaints procedure and responsible for managing quality issues / incidents and ensuring the procedures are enhanced with each learning for optimal recovery in future
• Assisting with developing, and implementing, preventative measures throughout the production process with a view to continuously improving quality and effectiveness within the manufacturing process across all suppliers.
• Through day to day activities, to be the lead on all technical recommendations to NPD, Operations and Marketing teams with the view to enhancing, and maintaining, product and packaging quality standards.
• Create and deploy quality taste panels of finished products and raw materials both internally and within supply base
NPD & Innovation
• Help source, and select, potential new suppliers to support Pip & Nut in the production of finished goods –conducting quality due-diligence and thorough supplier validation
• Responsible for and own Pip & Nut’s finished goods specification management, and supplier specification needs
• Ensure the technical content on the packaging of new products is compliant with all relevant safety, quality and legal regulations (e.g. food labelling, food safety)
You will have:
• Significant proven experience of managing technical operations within a food production / manufacturing environment
• A strong understanding of, and experience in, a variety of food manufacturing process, ideally including: pasteurisation, nut butters, snacks
• A strong knowledge of all health & safety standards, including microbiology and legal regulations relevant to food manufacturing and product development
• Experience in implementing, and managing supplier performance against SLAs and KPIs
• A strong technical understanding in relation to NPD, packaging and manufacturing of food
Skills and competencies
• Be results focussed and solution oriented with good business judgement
• Possess strong people management skills
• Be an excellent communicator with people at all levels (internally and externally)
• Have an eye for detail
• Demonstrate excellent organisation and time management capabilities
• Understand ‘what good looks like’ and best practice in terms of food manufacturing processes
• Be able to adapt personal style in order to effectively influence others
• Have a strong understanding of the importance of brand value and integrity
• Be tenacious, highly energised, motivated and passionate about achieving levels of excellence
• Be able to demonstrate flexibility and be able to champion change
• Be able to effectively manage your own budget
Competitive Salary (DOE)
Unlimited Nut butter